Tuesday, November 4, 2008

NOODLES: chicken lo mein and asian noodle soup

Currently Digging: soup with veggies [no lo mein for me]

I VOTED TODAY!!! HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE of this day... let me name a few:
1. Historical election: first African Am president or first woman VP?
2. FIRST time VOTER: Yes... that's right! IT's my first time voting at 23 in a foreign land [ooops excuse me... I forgot, I'm a citizen of this country... haha... so I am not a foreigner here no more? Immigrant?]
3. WEIGHTLOSS: I am down to 205 lbs! OMG! I cannot believe this!!!! This has been the thinnest I've been (so far...) since my ADULTHOOD [or teenage years]!!!

*** Well back to my blogging here...

0800: woke up + bath + bfast [egg, toast, bacon]
0930: off to my designated precinct. I VOTED!

1000: bought some veggies at the grocery store: thought I'd cook for both my parents so they will not eat out todaY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Too much crap in those food.. want them to eat healthier too... [called my mom: what do you want for lunch??? she said, CHINESE! soooo I said... I'll just cook then...]

1030: started cooking: Looking for something to cook I found this CHINA BOY oriental LO MEIN noodles. Looks like egg noodles to me... but to be safe i wanted to taste it first so I made chicken lomein with it...

CHICKEN LO MEIN:

Chicken breast strips, Lo mein (cooked, drained), Napa cabbage (blanched), Carrots (cut in thin strips), Onions (choppes), Garlic (minced), Green bell peppers (chopped), Soy sauce, Teriyaki sauce, freshly ground black pepper.

  • Hot pan with olive oil, saute garlic and onions until soft tender almost brown
  • Add chicken breast cut in strips; season; cook until almost golden brown but still moist
  • Add green bell peppers; cook until slight change in color but still with a crunch
  • Add carrots and cooked nappa cabbage (this will give out its water content)
  • Add 1 or 2 Tbsp Soy sauce; adjust to taste
  • Add 0.5 to 1 Tbsp teriyaki sauce (to slightly thicken sauce and give sweetish taste)

1200: Ate lunch with mom and dad

***We ate this with Dark red kidney beans with bell pepper and jalapenos! THAT WAS PRETTY GOOD!!!***

1330: off to gym -------HAD A GOOD WORK OUT! I LOST 2lbs from my last weigh in!

1600: back from gym + ate post-workout meal (leftovers) + watched tv + internet

1800: dinner with mom and dad: For dinner I used the chicken/vegetable broth I made earlier this am to make some asian chicken noodle soup...

My mom loved this---anything asian... SHE WILL EAT (as long as it is not exotic)... BUT ANYTHING with NOODLES or RICE with fish sauce (patis) or soy sauce (toyo)... SHE WILL EAT!!!!

My dad enjoyed this too.. he kept saying... it was like THAI street food soup... hehehe.... HE ATE A WHOLE BUNCH FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!!!! I served him 1 entire bowl and he ate it all without complaintssssssssssss!!!!!



OUR Very simple and satisfying dinner...
[though I made MINE without the NOODLES; I just had the broth, chicken, and veggies]

ASIAN CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
  • Boil HOMEMADE Chix/veggie broth
  • Cook lo mein noodles for 4 minutes
  • Transfer noodles in serving bowls
  • Heat through shredded chicken breast (cooked with the broth earlier)
  • Blanch onions, carrots and cabbage in broth
  • Arrange in serving dish
  • Pour BOILING broth
  • Top with green onions and freshly ground black pepper

***I sure miss fried garlic on top of it!!! but i'm watching my fat intake... so... i'd just settle to the healthier version...***



EAT GOOD!!!
I miss you houie... sorry about today... i was PMSing...