Friday, February 15, 2008

loaded pseudo gourmet pizza

Currently Digging: roasted ratatouille, teriyaki chix & cottage cheese



I am trying to lose weight... Di pa ba obvious? Super bowl sunday was approaching, my dad can't eat by mouth, it's just me and him, so I thought, 'y order pizza, if ako lang ang kakain?!.'
9/10 times I overeat when PIZZA is around! IT's SIMPLY my BIGGEST TEMPTATION.


Anyway, went to grocery store day before, bought veggies for toppings, yeast, and I was thinking of getting a package of pepperoni, but guess what? I didn't! Aside from the price, it's loaded with sodium and fat.

So here's what I made for the DOUGH:
I tried an online recipe! i just typed pizza dough... hehe
2 cup all-purpose flour (i was going to use whole wheat but i don't wanna spend more money to buy it, after all, this is a tria pizza right?)
1 package quick-rising yeast
some salt
pinch sugar
warm water for the yeast (accdg to package :D)
instead of adding olive oil, i used CAn't believe it's not butter-spray (0 cal, 0 whatever.)

BOTTOMs:
olive oil
garlic minced
onions minced
boiled spinach or frozen spinach DRAINED

small can tomato sauce
salt & pepper to taste
basil leaves or dried basil--gives that italian pizza taste instead of a Greenwich or 3M pizza (you know what I mean!!)



TOPs:
monterey jack cheese (this is what I have at that time eh!)
cheddar cheese (Frankie happened to give me some)
parmesan cheese (i bought for $1.79 a small triangular block)
mushrooms

bell pepper
onion slices
drained frozen spinach

about 6-8oz smoked beef sausage-pre cook
2 slices bacon- pre cook

What i did:
CRUST: Yeast + warm h2O set aside. mix dry ingredients. combine. and mix thoroughly. With this modern age, we don't have a mixer or a food processor. So i did it the old fashion way, mix it by hand and used my palms to knead the bread. It's really hard to tell exact measurements since I CANNOT follow ANY recipe. The dough was seemed dry, so i added a tsp of warm water. (if too sticky dust with flour). Once it is soft enough, i sprayed it with can't believe it's not butter. Wrap it in plastic whrink wrap and let it rest for ABOUT 30mins
I rolled it with roller pin until it feels like a pizza crust! haha... Di ko alam kung gaano ka kapal eh! Basta I have a big pizza pan, and i wanted it thin since it is home made. I used extra virgin olive oil to oil the pan and dusted it LIGHTLY with flour.
Baked it 450* on the bottom rack until it looks almost done, haha! (can't remember how long!)

BOTTOMs: Sauted onions and garlic in olive oil until golden brown. Added frozen spinach. Salt and pepper. Mix in tomato sauce, let boil, then simmer to reduce to about 25-40%. Salt and Pepper to taste, actually I didn't add anymore salt cuz once the sauce reduced, the flavors intensified enough :D

TOPs: After pre baking the crust (so it won't be soggy), i used just enough sauce (3/4 to 1cup of sauce) to cover crust. Dust with monterey and cheddar cheese (so the toppings will stick together and won't fall off). Added the pre cook meat. Then the raw veggies on top (so it will be more expose to heat once cooked). Added the remainder of the cheeses + freshly grated parmesan.

BAke in middle rack, until desired doneness~~~ cheese bubbly, veggies cooked, crust golden brown!

SERVE with tabasco or red pepper flakes and freshly cracked pepper! DIG IN!!!


***burrrrrrrrrrrrp*** I made sure to get 3 slices and left the rest in the kitchen, packed it in plasticwares, ready to be stored in the ref! (para di ko na kainin!!!)


^^^NY Giants WON!^^^